Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Barefoot Running = Better Shod Running

I have never been a runner. I ran track in high school and was never really good at it, but I did it anyways because it killed time and had some fun doing it. When I joined the Army, I was a horrible runner. Terrible form, terrible times, and just felt terrible while running. I went to basic training running a high 15 minute 2 mile, I mean like 15:45. My last PT test at basic, I ran the fastest time I have ever ran 2 miles in, 13:04.

Part of what contributed to the fact that I shaved over 2 minutes off my two mile run is we ran every where. I mean everywhere. Going to PT, we ran to PT. For PT, we ran. Going to the chow hall, we ran there too, and also back from chow. We ran so much, that it was no longer fun and became more of a chore.

Up until I deployed I was always running my 2 miles in about 14:30. Given our area and our job, we did not really have the time or the space to run, so I rarely did so. The only time I ran 2 miles deployed, was at a PT test we had a month before we came back. I failed to meet the minimum Army standards. I ran a 16:40 missing the minimum by 8 seconds.

We came back and I was able to attend college full time for a semester. No work, no formations, and you guessed it, no PT. The first PT test I took when I got back, I had not ran at all in 3 months. I knew I was going to post a horrible time, but at least I passed with a 16:24. Still horrible, but passing.

I started running on a regular basis and got my times back around a 7:15 pace. Then I started to run barefoot. And as everyone knows, when you run barefoot, you run more efficiently. I was no exception.

From the very first time I ran barefoot my stride and foot strike changed. As I continued to run barefoot, I had no idea that it would actually improve my PT test times. So my does that matter. Running barefoot and running in shoes are 2 different things. But, at my last PT test, I noticed a huge change.

I have not changed the amount that I am running, just when I run at night, I run barefoot. I don't run as far as I would in shoes, and I run at a slower pace. What I noticed when I was running my 2 mile run was that I was striking the ground with a shorter stride and mid/forefoot strike. A more efficient way to run instead of running with a longer stride and heel striking. I cant remember where I heard it, but when you heel strike with your foot way out in front, you basically are hitting the brakes if you will whenever your foot strikes the ground, slowing yourself down.

I was turning over faster and running with a mid/forefoot strike. I felt like I was running the same pace as I always did, based on the way my heart was beating and I was breathing, but when I finished I was astonished when I looked at my time. 13:11, a score of 98 out of 100 possible points. The fastest I have ran in over 4 years. And I felt great when I finished, instead of the usual where do I throw up look I have on my face.

The only thing I can contribute to the fact of my time is the more efficient stride I was using. I was not running any more then I usually did, and I was not running faster either, but I was running with different form. One that transferred over to when I run with shoes on. Now that my form is improving, I wonder how low I can get my times when I try and work on speed. I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment